This is by far the best thing I've ever read. I posted it on my dorm door so everyone can read it. I agree with every single thing and I've highlighted what I believe to be the most important! <3
100 Reminders To Live By
1. make the best of bad situations.
2. look people in the eye.
3. learn to play a musical instrument.
4. be the first to say 'hello'.
5. be forgiving of yourself & others.
6. treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated.
7. make new friends but cherish the old ones.
8. keep secrets.
9. take lots of snapshots.
10. don’t postpone joy.
11. never give up on anybody. miracles happen everyday.
12. surprise loved ones with little unexpected gifts.
13. live so that when your children think of fairness, caring, and integrity, they think of you.
14. admit your mistakes.
15. make it a habit to do nice things for people who'll never find out.
16. always have something beautiful in sight, even if it's just a flower in a jelly glass.
17. think big thoughts, but relish small pleasures.
18. smile a lot. it costs nothing and is beyond price.
19. learn to listen. opportunity sometimes knocks very softly.
20. when someone is relating an important event that happened to them, don't try to top them with a story of your own. let them have the stage.
21. never deprive someone of hope. it might be all they have.
22. when playing games with children, let them win.
23. skip one meal a week and give what you would have spent to charity.
24. strive for excellence, not perfection.
25. take time to smell the roses.
26. pray not for things, but for wisdom and courage.
27. be tough-minded but tender-hearted.
28. avoid negative people.
29. be original.
30. never give up on what you really want to do. the person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts.
31. be kinder than necessary.
32. never be afraid to do things your own way.
33. be romantic.
34. let people know what you stand for - and what you won't stand for.
35. become the most positive & enthusiastic person you know.
36. don't forget that a person's greatest emotional need is to feel appreciated.
37. show respect to all living things.
38. loosen up. relax. except for rare life and death matters, nothing is as important as it first seems.
39. commit yourself to constant self-improvement.
40. don't waste time grieving over past mistakes. learn from them and move on.
41. be a good loser.
42. be a good winner.
43. never tell anyone they look tired or depressed.
44. when someone hugs you, let them be the first to let go.
45. keep your promises.
50. keep it simple.
51. take good care of those you love.
52. learn to show cheerfulness, even when you don’t feel like it.
53. never cut what can be untied
54. everyday, show your family how much you love them with your words, with your touch, & with your thoughtfulness.
55. beware of the person who has nothing to lose.
56. lie on your back and look at the stars.
57. leave everything a little better than you found it.
58. never underestimate your power to change yourself.
59. never overestimate your power to change others.
60. get in shape and stay that way.
61. don’t burn bridges. You’ll be surprised how many times you have to cross the same river.
62. keep expectations high.
63. accept pain and disappointment as part of life.
64. see problems as opportunities for growth and self-mastery.
65. don’t expect life to be fair.
66. hear both sides before judging.
67. refrain from envy, it’s the source of much unhappiness.
68. don’t delay acting on a good idea. Chances are someone else has just thought of it, too. Success comes to the one who acts first.
69. live your life so that your epitaph could read "no regrets.”
70. be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you’ll regret the things you didn’t do more than the ones you did.
71. never waste an opportunity to tell someone you love them.
72. evaluate yourself by your own standards, not someone else’s.
73. be there when people need you.
74. don’t let anyone talk you out of pursuing what you know to be a great idea.
75. know when to be silent.
76. know when to speak up.
77. remember that no one makes it alone. Have a grateful heart & be quick to acknowledge those who help you.
78. take charge of your attitude. Don’t let someone else choose it for you.
79. pay attention to the details.
80. be loyal.
81. understand that happiness is not based on possessions, power, or prestige, but on the relationships with people you love and respect. 82. don’t let your possessions possess you.
83. begin each day with your favorite music.
84. be enthusiastic about the success of others.
85. don’t procrastinate, do what needs doing when it needs to be done.
86. do more than expected.
87. don’t allow self-pity. The moment this emotion strikes, do something nice for someone less fortunate than you.
88. make a list of 25 things you want to experience before you die. Carry it in your wallet and refer to it often.
89. every person that you meet knows something you don’t. learn from them
90. laugh a lot. A good sense of humor cures almost all of life’s ills.
91. don’t use time or words carelessly, neither can be retrieved.
92. don’t miss the magic of the moment by focusing on what’s to come.
93. don’t be rushed into making an important decision.
94. don’t make the same mistake twice.
95. become someone’s hero.
96. after you’ve worked hard to get what you want, take the time to enjoy it.
97. take life one step at a time.
98. don’t worry about tomorrow, just make it through today.
99. do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
100. live the present - it’s irreplaceable.
I haven't made an update in quite a while.
Nothing of any real excitement has been going on in my life.
I've been working A LOT and now and then trying to hang out with my friends but it's reallllly hard.
I work at the camp 8:30-5.
I absolutely love it. I'm working with nine year olds. They're a lot of fun, they absolutely love camp. We have a few kids which are MAJOR problems but it's really no big.
One or two days a week, I'm also working at Sears my fav. Ugh I hate it. But it's definitely worth it when I get money.
I'm pretty excited or the rest of the summer.
I'm hopefully ::crosses fingers:: and going to Montreal for a weekend trip with a few people from school.
I'm also going to Maine with my family for four-five days.
And lastly I think I'm camping with my best friends from school in Maine. I'm not sure yet.
I suppose this is enough seeing as I haven't updated in quite a while
Wow, it's really weird to be done with school. This past week has been absolutely crazy. I've been staying up super late studying and it's really starting to show. I've been really tired lately. I'm a little disappointed with myself this semester because I feel I could've probably worked harder and studied more, but I guess we can't change the past. Anyways, I only have one test left. I'm going to drive back to school tomorrow night pack up the rest of my things, which isn't a lot AT ALL, then I have one test on monday at 8AM then I'm peacin out for the summer wooooo! It's really hard to believe it's been a year. I'm pretty much a college sophomore. It's so crazy!
I have such high hopes for this summer. First of all, I want to make a TON of money. Then secondly, I want to see everyone I've missed and hang out in Saratoga on the Ben and Jerry's swing with my best best friends. And, I want the garden me and my dad are planting to turn out really well. I'd like to be able to say that yes, I DID help plant that garden lol.
Well, I'm going to eat breakfast mmm. Then I have to buy my mom a mother's day gift. I don't know what I'm going to get yet. Oh and I also have to study yayyyy lol.
How CRAZY is that?
This break went by REALLY quick and I'm not realllly ready to go back, but...seriously, I only have like 6 weeks left.
I'm super excited, I'm going to visit Twin in a few weeks!
Last night, when we were dying easter eggs, we convinced my 3 younger cousins that drinking Easter Egg Dye is tradition and they did it. It was THE FUNNIEST thing I've ever seen.
Well...I suppose I should proably go pack. Have a great Easter!
I can't believe how quickly this semester has gone by. I'm planning out my schedule for next semester, which is crazzzzy!
For my Diversity and Teaching class, I have to tutor kids at a program called Job Corps which is for kids 16-24 who didn't graduate high school. They live at this facility for 2 years trying to earn their GED and/or a trade. It's a reallllly good program and I had to tutor kids for 5 hours. But I like it so much I think I'm going to keep going back. I've been working with this one kid who is ELL (English Language Learner) and he's a lot of fun to work with. We get along pretty well and I can joke around with him to help him learn vocab and such. It's the funniest thing, he CANNOT say the work "rationalization" it's like IMPOSSIBLE for him haha. But he understands what I'm trying to teach him and I'd like to think I'm helping him. We'll see.
I'm so happy--today my french civ test was pushed back until tuesday so more time to study yay! And my other french class was cancelled because my professor's mother died :( and I skipped calc to take a nap instead. So I've had a pretty great day so far.
Can't wait to be home. Only 16 days left wooT! I can't wait. I really want to see my kittens haha. Well that's all for now...
Today is my day for work. And that's it, only work.
I'm trying to eat healthier and more than twice a day. It's not good to only eat twice a day so I'm trying to eat something even if it's small. I want to be somewhat in shape by summer, and be healthy. I don't really care about being a twig.
Speaking of summer, I can't wait. I counted lol and there are only 70 days left until the end of the semester. It's REALLY not that long at all. I have so much work to do by then too haha. I can't wait to be home with my friends and family and having bonfires and camping in the back yard haha. I truly love summer and I can't wait. I think I might take a sign language course this summer. Amanda Smith showed me some cool stuff the other day and I've been thinking about it ever since, it's really cool to be able to communicate without speaking or writing. Only with your hands. I can say "I go to the restroom with the door open" haha. And my name and some other junk like that, it's very interesting.
PS: Unplug stuff you're not using--it's still wasting energy.
Another thing I can't believe is that in about 2 months, I'll be done with my first YEAR of school. I was talking to Amanda Smith and we were like, how are we done with our first year of college? It's absolutely crazy, I can't believe it. In 3 years, I'll be "an adult" it's crazy.
I've been trying to get my parents to recycle more. We don't have a bin...or at least not one that's easily accessible, but I've been becoming more knowledgable about environmental conditions and what we can do to stop being so wasteful. It really is a shame how wasteful we really are. And the high school too. They really need to institute a program to start recycling. Kids drink so much and they should recycle the cans and bottles. One can produces enough energy to fuel 3 hours of TV. And we just throw it away. I'm guilty of it too, so I should be saying anything.
I reallllly can't wait for spring. I want to start my garden and for the vegetables and such to grow. I think I'm going to try to start cooking more. I want to learn so when I'm on my own, I can actually cook stuff thats not out of a box lol.
Anyways...I'm gonna leave it short. I hate reading long entries.